Americans create 25% more trash between Thanksgiving and New Year’s, according to the EPA. The good news is, you can make a difference with these tips for a greener holiday season:
• Consider a “gift of experience” like zoo or aquarium tickets.
• Behind-the-scenes tour with a favorite sports team.
• Cooking, art or yoga classes.
• Restaurant gift card.
• For gift wrap, get creative with a basket or cloth bag. If you need to buy wrapping paper, choose one without foil, glitter or plastic (those can’t be recycled).
• Finally, recycle your Christmas tree. Just make sure to remove all lights and decorations first.
– Christina Mohrman, Program Manager & Science Communication Manager, Gulf of Mexico Alliance