You’ve decided to build a house in the Gulf South. What architectural elements do you need to consider before you break ground?
• Zoning requirements and base flood elevations, which will change based on location and proximity to water
• Soil conditions
• Type and depth of the foundation
• Base flood elevation
• Connections between each facet of the house, from the roof rafters to the wood columns and more
• Window glass, the thicker the better
• Shutters that are attractive and protective
Design is key from the beginning; build a sustainable house from the foundation to the shutters to be prepared for inclement weather.
– Tommy Meric, Duplantier & Meric, Architects, LLC