If you have ever held a job, at some point, you have probably found yourself in a situation where you had to have a difficult conversation. Whether you are a manager admonishing an employee or an employee seeking a raise, these tips will help you get through those potentially awkward conversations:
• Never present a problem without also offering a solution.
• Keep it conversational by asking open-ended questions.
• Try to start and end on a positive note, even if the topic is difficult.
• Be persistent but careful not to overwhelm the other person.
• Establish rapport and respect. It’s very important.
– Haley Pegg, New Orleans Chamber